Enjoy pleasurable and responsible holidays
Come to the first ecolodge on Maio island and do not miss the chance to become an eco-tourist. Responsible travel is the best way to enjoy your holiday in Cape Verde with the knowledge that your stay respects local people and the environment.
Energy conservation is our priority
Ways to save Energy
- Solar Energy Systems
- Photovoltaic Panels
- Wind turbines
- The apartments are furnished with low-energy consumption appliances
- Exterior common areas are exclusively fitted with low energy Led
Be responsible and do not forget that every drop counts
Water is an essential resource for tourist accommodation and it must be well managed to avoid overuse, potentially resulting in serious depletion of local water resources.
Ways to save Water
- Blackwater recycling system: recycled water used for irrigation increases the growth of plants
- Water conservation messages to staff and visitor
- Installation of showers instead of bathtubs
Local community involvment
Engagement of the local communities is very important to develop ecolodge community relations and partnership.
Maximizing local employment opportunities:
- Villa Maris employs people from Morro, the nearby village.
Villa Maris uses local products and goods in order to bring economic benefits to the community.
Taking an interest in the locals’ health
Supporting local projects such as “Programa de Reforço dos Actores Descentralizado”
Promoting the tourist “Do’s and Don’ts” to minimize disturbance and offense to local communiti
Give your trash a second chance during your holiday in Maio, Cape Verde and help us preventing sea pollution
Villa Maris Ecolodge is based on sustainable principles to ensure minimum impact on the surrounding environment
Ways to save the Earth
- Clients and employees are trained and educated on good practices to adopt in order to optimize selective waste-sorting
- Everyone in Villa Maris is invited to recycle food-waste in a specific composter collector
- Whenever possible we avoid buying items made of plastic
- Promoting recycling in the community
We love animals
Maio is the island where time seems to have stopped.
Here, where the beauty of unspoiled nature can be appreciated, you can find wild animals such as donkeys, cows, piggies, and goats walking undisturbed around the island looking for food and water.
The endless drought and lack of rain affect wildlife. Waterholes are drying up, and instead of succulent green grass, animals are finding brittle yellow stalks, occasionally settling for paper and plastic bags.
We couldn’t bear to see them suffer so Villa Maris decided to adopt a cow and her little calf, roosters and chickens, a horse and a few donkeys.
Step by step, our family is growing.